Being happy! 🙂
I just do things.
Which reminds me, I need to make one now which I still haven’t…
With the situation today, I very much fear for the future, if language does survive extinction. If you get what I mean.
Well, I have posted an exhaustive post on similar lines before, for your reading pleasure (and more links to click on):
Dystopia or Decadence? Age of braindance decadence: We didn’t get rid of our problems, we multiplied them.
*click click* away! (and please read)
I honestly didn’t knew what to post for this one, as I had a bit of lack of imagination on what denotes future tense to me or simply it didn’t strike me. So I just took a photo while writing this which actually relates to my life right now.
Since I spent a good (and sometimes complete) hours on my laptop, I have this small note on the side as to whenever I see it, reminds me of making a better life for myself. Not sure how it motivates me myself, but well it’s a start.
And since it’s phoneography month, as a bonus here is my new cell phone which I got about 10 days back through which I’m takings some of the wonderful pictures which I post here. Nokia Lumia 920, the best camera (phone) in the market today. Simply amazing.
Age of braindance decadence: We didn’t get rid of our problems, we multiplied them.
Whatever is the case, that holds true. Not only for today but perhaps in the future too. I dare say definitely and it wouldn’t be too hard to find (most) people agreeing on it. After all, balance is what’s most important. Here thanks to this week’s writing challenge, for the first time (in either case) I’m thinking of the opposite of the dreamed utopia – dystopia.
Now many of us love dystopian based settings (except my laptop/browser, which fails to recognize that word and suggests to me utopian) in books, movies, tv, video games and love watching our heroes (or was it the villain?) suffer (I was being modest, actually die).
Now this always begs me to question – what if our future actually turns out to be such a dystopian? (ironically, to me we are already doing great in that regard) And what does dystopian actually mean? Decline in the world, or really, decline in people, ourselves?
Dogs. Always a man’s best friend. For eternity.
So you’re hit by a car tomorrow and, just like in the movies, they put you on ice and wait for medical science to make it possible to revive you at some point in the future. And revive you they do, some 20, 50, or 100 years later (any later than that is just cheating). Lo and behold you’ve woken up into your personal nightmare vision of the future. Tell us what it looks like.
So that’s the scenario. While a future version of yourself is an interesting (and very common-exploited-overly-used these days) topic, being your present self thrown in the future in perhaps the closest realistic way, and considering it to be on the dystopian side, how could it be?
- Relationships: Does love still exist? Are people allowed to choose their own partners? Has the very idea of partnership been replaced by meditating about spoons? As far as I know, people can’t seem to grasp the concept of love (for the layman) today anyways. I personally think the union between people will prevail till the world ends, despite all treachery, lies and illusion. And If I have to talk about me personally, well I rather not say. 😛
- Privilege: Are some people much better off than others, in terms of their freedom, opportunities, or daily lives? This is sadly also going to remain. Be it a better or (much) worse world, in cases it is required, but in most others as we know it’s unjust. This image just subtly sums it up.
- Mind control: Do people have the freedom to think for themselves? I already question that even today. I dare not even think about it. No I’m not talking about the problems by the ineffective governments all around the world, that is step 2. Step 1, people themselves.
- Politics: Have conditions pushed the world in the direction of far-right fascism, wild anarchism, or opulent anything-goes liberalism? Or has politics been superseded altogether in the presence of giant brain eating cockroaches? Politics, something (along with Religion) which I will always have to think about before saying anything. Not that I’m not right, just that I prefer giant brain eating cockroaches.
- Technology: Have we become more dependent on technology, or has it become useless? How does technology shape the experience of our everyday lives? Technology not just shapes our lies but the whole current world and that is just exponentially increasing everyday. I wouldn’t be surprised if we witness a cyberpunk world in the future. I don’t much believe in reincarnation, but I sure would like to witness it if not in this life. And in a way, at the same time, it is also leading to our disaster, which has already started. It’s only a matter of time when something good turns evil.
- Environment: Have changes in the environment forced us to live in Hazmat suits, or are we all living in brain-wired fantasies of infinite pleasure? That meant like in the movie Inception. Not really.
- Gender roles: Has the gender power balance shifted, drastically or less so, in one direction or another? This is a parallel to the aforementioned privileges, only difference being that the former in cases becomes necessary for the bigger picture, while here this is an absolute necessity of being in equality. I’m not going to comment on this, as I at times feel ashamed myself of being in the so called dominant male species. You might get what I mean.
- Food, water, shelter: Has basic survival become an everyday struggle, or is the entire planet undergoing an obesity epidemic the likes of which we’d never have imagined? The way I see it, technology and this, we often focus on only about 30% of the earth’s current population in a way, the middle class complaining about how poor they are and the upper class getting all the privileges and opportunities of life because of wealth, while they themselves complain on the contrary how humanitarian they should be. What a fucking joke. Except all the sympathetic talks and so called charity and rural development going on, is there really progress? Not limited to worldly progress, but as compared to the ‘common’ people like us how we put it. That’s one of the reasons while I like WALL-E, it’s sort of rubbish. Except the most fortunate who haven’t realized or seen it yet, most of us are already are on survival mode.
- Post-humanity: Are humans still “on top,” or is the planet now ruled by monkeys, robots, or *gasp* monkey robots? Cyborgs and zombies I tell ya!
Apart from some of the fears I’ve written so far, being a internet lover, a way of putting this fear would be this. Truly a dystopia, which I again fear has already begun.
That would be interesting really, After a bit of thinking, yes I would read it. While we remember a lot from our lives, no matter what we evidently forget lot which has happened over time and it would be good, no matter how pathetic it is, to read it all again and reflect over it. Once finished from the start to NOW, things will get interesting, might be boring, exciting, some things glad while some not digestible (for the moment) others and even perhaps bit awkward. I mean, will the book say “And now you are reading your life story from the beginning, you have reached the present and continuing further…[ ]… after finishing you say to yourself ‘holy fuck!’ and faint.” Now that would be funny 😛
While many would be of the opinion (even me in quite some circumstances) that not knowing what lies ahead would be better, exciting and a challenge to face, I’d personally rather read it and be able to change what I want, and be prepared for which I can’t change. Well if I’m able to know what lies ahead, odds are very well can. Life would be perhaps a lot better, if not interesting, and well the very fact knowing things might change the probabilities of something happening and how. Alright, I got too much into probability and science (fiction?).
If it were possible, I would like it to be a graphic novel 😀 as that is more of my tastes. And of course would like to ‘see’ all the ‘beautiful’ aspects of life behind and forward too 😉
It’s interesting to think if someone was locked in a room with what they fear and how their reactions will be. What is more interesting, is what that fear will look like, especially if it’s not a ‘real world object’. Please note, there is a difference between having a certain phobia and having a fear of something (or someone)
I try to think about it. The room would be full dark and void. As I would look around I would see pieces of floating, moving images… of various points of my life. Like video clips of certain parts of your favourite movie(s). That would be my room of fear.
Choices, which I could have made, but never did.
I’m no way the type who would tend not to cling on the past but there comes a time now and then where I’m reminded of many of the (countless) choices I have made, but for some reason I never did. Things I could have done but didn’t. Which I’m supposed to but I’m not doing it. Perhaps changing my life over and/or of others’ but didn’t. That is my fear.
Not as interesting like seeing someone afraid of insects shrieking out when seeing a spider or someone pissing themselves over heights, but well that is my story.